PDA

View Full Version : Unrelated User Entry Pause

susancur
06-10-2024, 11:33 PM
Hello VBA community!

I come to you today with (ideally) a simple dilemma with (hopefully) a simple solution.

Question: Based on this scenario and the problem below, is there a way to either (1) push a write while the user writes into a cell without interrupting their input or (2) making the macro wait while a user inputs data into a cell as part of an unrelated process?

Scenario: I have a created a fully automated process that executes requests in an external database and returns results back into a log in Excel. The program takes several hours to complete but I have other tasks I must complete in other Excel spreadsheets.

Problem: While the program is running, data entry in other spreadsheets appear to suspend the connection of the Excel object write. This makes the log have skipped items. This occurs when either (1) highlighting a cell or (2) taking focus for user input into a cell. This results in cells not being written to while writing in another cell.

Aussiebear
06-11-2024, 12:47 AM
Welcome to VBAX susancur. As i understand it Excel only accepts one cell having the focus at a time (in relation to writing to the cell). Would it be possible to conduct your inputs to a back up copy then when finished update the main workbook?

Aflatoon
06-11-2024, 04:10 AM
I have other tasks I must complete in other Excel spreadsheets.

You can have more than one instance of Excel running at one time, so I'd suggest you start the long process in one instance and then use another for your other work while that runs in the background.

p45cal
06-11-2024, 04:29 AM
Ways to open a new instance of Excel:
https://exceloffthegrid.com/how-to-open-multiple-instances-of-excel/

Aussiebear
06-11-2024, 05:22 AM
Hmmm.... there's something familiar about this thread. susancur, did you post this thread elsewhere by any chance?

susancur
06-11-2024, 07:58 PM
You can have more than one instance of Excel running at one time, so I'd suggest you start the long process in one instance and then use another for your other work while that runs in the background.
Oh, it worked. Many thanks!

Aussiebear
06-11-2024, 08:21 PM
Cross posting without letting others know is disrespectful to those members here who have assisted you susancur. Would be a shame if you gained a reputation for doing so.