Discovered this characteristic about Excel 2007 shortly after our office converted to Office 2007. Thought I'd share it.

The workbooks I had built in Excel 2003, when converted to .xlsm, would not enable macros and wouldn't offer the user the option to do so. I researched the issue online and someone mentioned that the worksheets and workbooks could not be protected or Excel 2007 won't enable macros.

After monkeying around with Excel 2007 for a while, I discovered that Excel 2007 doesn't care if the worksheets are protected, with or without a password, but it WILL NOT enable macros in a workbook that is password protected on open. Period! Won't give you the option to enable either, even if you place the workbook in a "trusted location." The workbook can be protected when opened, just not password protected.

Once the workbook is open, you can apply password protection to the workbook itself and everything works OK because the macros have already been enabled. I am now making sure that workbook protection is removed on close and then reset by the user (click this button to show sheets) after its opened.

FWIW.

Ron