Consulting

Thread: Recommend Books for VBA, Excel, and Access.

VBAX Mentor
    Recommend Books for VBA, Excel, and Access.

Can anyone recommend some books on VBA programming with Excel, and Access?

I'd prefer something a little more advanced, as I can program in VBA to a degree, but the information should be well illustrated with examples. If you have an ISBN, even better.

Anyway, let me know what you'd recommend, and why.

Cheers

Moderator VBAX Master georgiboy's Avatar
    Ok i know you say advanced but i read Excel VBA for dummies and to be fair there was quite a few things i already knew but, it expalined things in a way that you wont find just learning as you go along. This is the only book i have read and it was cool, it had pictures (which helped me as i get bored quick, and i can be a bit on the simple side) and online example files and online support. I will be interested to see some more books as i am thinking of making a purchase soon (must have pictures and be pink and fluffy for me).
    Click here for a guide on how to add code tags
    Click here for a guide on how to mark a thread as solved
    Click here for a guide on how to upload a file with your post

Excel 365, Version 2404, Build 17531.20140

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    "Best" is a subjective judgement. People absorb information in different ways, depending upon their intellectual capability, their training and their experience; a book that would be ideal for one person might be trivial or incomprehensible for another.The best way is to go to a good bookstore, pull a stack of VBA books off the shelf. Browse through them; try the index to look up some feature that you know/feel is complex, or one that you have good knowledge of, and see if the index is usable and whether the explanation is good or not.

Personally I like Stephen Bullen and Rob Bovey's books, Excel VBA Programmer's Reference, and PED (Professional Excel Development). For the former, avoid the 2003 version like the plague, it suffers a very bad edit; the latter may be too advanced for you.

Other than that there is John Walkenbach's VBA For Dummies and Power Programming.

And there there are forums like this of course, and the public newsgroups.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA it is a very good book..

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Mentor
    I have VBA for dummies, and it is a useful source, especially if there's something I just need to quickly check. But I was looking for something a bit more "in-depth".

: I suppose I ought to save my pennies, and upgrade from 2000 to 2007. :-)

VBAX Mentor
    XLD: Would this book- Excel VBA Programmers Reeference
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Excel-2007-P...1502687&sr=1-2

be "backwards compatible with Excel 2000/2003?

Or should I stick to the relevant 2003 editions of reference books?

The 2007 version will be mainly okay in terms of the Excel object model, just a few changes, but I would envisage that it will have a lot of coverage of the ribbon, which is very 2007 specific. Thus, maybe an earlier version is better, but as I said before, DON'T BUY the 2003 VERSION OF VBA Programmers Reference, it is poorly edited and worse, it has tons of errors (why they got this guy to edit it only they know).

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber