Consulting

Thread: open file from outlook

VBAX Tutor
    open file from outlook

Hi,

As part of a process I am working on we receive a workbook by email (from a trusted source) that needs to be imported and worked on. Is there a way to use the OpenFileDialog box to allow the user to select it from Outlook as soon as it arrives (or the temporary location outlook holds the file - where is that by the way?) rather than having the user open it from outlook and save it before importing it from that location

Thanks
    Phil

Moderator VBAX Guru Simon Lloyd's Avatar
    You can't have it open as it arrives as excel won't know ithas arrived, but you could open the dialogue box to this folder \Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKBD and the user can select which file to open.
    Regards,
    Simon
    Please read this before cross posting!
    In the unlikely event you didn't get your answer here try Microsoft Office Discussion @ The Code Cage
    If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
    Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675 English mathematician & physicist (1642 - 1727)

Moderator VBAX Guru Simon Lloyd's Avatar
    Just checking but i don't think the files are available until you have opened (downloaded) them, but here's a code to open to a specific folder:[VBA]Sub Get_Data()
    ChDrive "C:\" 'change drive to suit
    ChDir "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKBD" 'Change path to suit
    FileToOpen = Application.GetOpenFilename _
    (Title:="Please choose a file to Open", _
    FileFilter:="Excel Files *.xls (*.xls),")
    ''
    If FileToOpen = False Then
    MsgBox "No file specified.", vbExclamation, "No Selection"
    Exit Sub
    Else
    Workbooks.Open Filename:=FileToOpen
    End If
    End Sub[/VBA]
    Regards,
    Simon
    Please read this before cross posting!
    In the unlikely event you didn't get your answer here try Microsoft Office Discussion @ The Code Cage
    If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
    Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675 English mathematician & physicist (1642 - 1727)