Thread: Solved: Error 1004 when copying and pasting with multiple sheets selected

Question Solved: Error 1004 when copying and pasting with multiple sheets selected

I'm writing a macro that basically copies all of the printable areas of one workbook into a new workbook. Each separate print range of the source workbook gets pasted into its own sheet in the new workbook. So if there are four separate print ranges in a sheet, it creates four sheets in the new workbook and pastes the stuff from the print range to the new workbook.

I have it paste the values and all the formatting (but not the formulas because there are a lot of calculations going on behind the scenes and I didn't want to deal with it).

When I select a single sheet, the macro works fine. It creates a new workbook, pastes all my print ranges, sets all the print settings correctly, and prints the document. When I select MULTIPLE sheets, however, the macro fails at the first PasteSpecial, returning an error 1004 and saying that it can't paste because the destination cells aren't the correct size and shape as the source cells.

I'm not sure what the problem is. It doesn't SEEM to be copying multiple sheets (when I run the copy command), and I'm selecting the same range in the destination document as the source document, so it should be the same size and shape. There are no merged cells (and I've actually tested on a single sheet that DOES have merged cells and it worked fine!)

So I'm not quite sure where the error is. Again, the error ONLY occurs when I select multiple sheets. This is problem because if I want to print several sheets from a project this way, I would have to do each sheet separately.

The following is my code. The function "copy_print_settings" that you see basically just copies each item from the source sheet PageSetup to the destination, and there are no errors being thrown there so I didn't include it.

TL;DR: Code below works when there's a single sheet selected, but not when multiple sheets are selected from the source workbook

[VBA]
    Option Explicit
    Sub print_fitted()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Dim selected_sheet_range As Sheets
    Dim selected_sheet As Worksheet
    Dim ss_print_area() As String
    Dim p_area As Variant
    Set selected_sheet_range = ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets
    Dim NewBook As Workbook
    Set NewBook = Workbooks.Add
    Dim rowcount As Integer

For Each selected_sheet In selected_sheet_range
    ss_print_area() = Split(selected_sheet.PageSetup.PrintArea, ",")
    For Each p_area In ss_print_area()
    NewBook.Sheets.Add after:=NewBook.Worksheets(NewBook.Worksheets.Count)
    selected_sheet.Range(p_area).Copy

'Code fails at the FOLLOWING LINE
    'but ONLY WHEN THERE ARE MULTIPLE SHEETS selected from the source workbook!
    NewBook.Sheets(NewBook.Worksheets.Count).Range(p_area).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteColumnWidths
    NewBook.Sheets(NewBook.Worksheets.Count).Range(p_area).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
    NewBook.Sheets(NewBook.Worksheets.Count).Range(p_area).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats
    NewBook.Sheets(NewBook.Worksheets.Count).PageSetup.PrintArea = p_area
    copy_print_settings NewBook, selected_sheet
    For rowcount = 1 To selected_sheet.Range(p_area).Rows.Count
    NewBook.Sheets(NewBook.Worksheets.Count).Range(p_area).Rows(rowcount).RowHe ight _
    = selected_sheet.Range(p_area).Rows(rowcount).RowHeight
    Next rowcount
    Next p_area
    Next selected_sheet

NewBook.Worksheets(3).Delete
    NewBook.Worksheets(2).Delete
    NewBook.Worksheets(1).Delete

NewBook.Worksheets.PrintOut ActivePrinter:="Adobe PDF"

Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub
    [/VBA]

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    add:
    ActiveSheet.Select
    after:
    Set selected_sheet_range = ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets
    This destroys your mutiple-selected sheets but…
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Well boy is my face red.

That fixed it. How hard was that?