Consulting

Thread: Write Conflict

Write Conflict

I have a user who more than occasionally gets the following message:

This record has been changed by another user since you started editing it. If you save the record, you will overwrite the changes the other user made. Copying the changes to the clipboard will let you look at the values the other user entered, and then paste your changes back in if you decide to make changes.

He has a 3 station network using the package in question.

This is a rather large application - maybe a hundred forms, 200-300 queries.

The program they are using is installed at a couple of dozen other locations but this is the only one getting the write conflict message. I copy their program to one of my computers and cannot recreate the error.

I'm not sure what circumstances can cause the write conflict. Any ideas?

VBAX Expert
    If you're connecting to sql you can get this message due to problems with some datatypes I think.

Otherwise something or somebody is updating the same record.

It's pretty easy to replicate.

Create a query based on a table.
    Open the table and query.
    Change a value in the table. Don't close the table or move to a new record.
    Change a value for the same record in the query and press f9 to save.
    Switch back to the table and press f9 to save.

You could try changing the default record locking from no locks to edited record and see if/where it errors.
    If it's a multi user system and someone is running update queries their queries will probably fail though.

Quote Originally Posted by jonh View Post
    If you're connecting to sql you can get this message due to problems with some datatypes I think.

Otherwise something or somebody is updating the same record.

It's pretty easy to replicate.

Create a query based on a table.
    Open the table and query.
    Change a value in the table. Don't close the table or move to a new record.
    Change a value for the same record in the query and press f9 to save.
    Switch back to the table and press f9 to save.

You could try changing the default record locking from no locks to edited record and see if/where it errors.
    If it's a multi user system and someone is running update queries their queries will probably fail though.
    Thanks - I should have seen it but I was looking in another direction. In this user only during sign on I had created some queries to add any new records in the system to a history file for easy lookup, then flagged those new records as having been added to the history. I believe that the flagging update was conflicting with other users that were doing input.

Looking at the forest instead of the trees. Thanks.