Consulting

Thread: SumIf and SumIfs Help

Microsoft Word MVP 2003-2009 VBAX Guru gmaxey's Avatar
    SumIf and SumIfs Help

I am one step above and Excel nub. Still I am trying sum the values in one column (E) IF the value in a second column (C) is ".pdf" OR ".wbk" (and ideally more that two "OR" conditions:

Sub TestingFunctions()
      'SumIf - first arg is the range where condition could exist, second arg is the condition, third arg is the range containing values to sum.
      'I have a workbook with a column listing file extensions (Column C) and another listing file size (Column C).  I can sum the file size for all files with the single extension .wbk as follows:
      MsgBox Application.WorksheetFunction.SumIf(ActiveSheet.Range("C:C"), ".wbk", ActiveSheet.Range("E:E"))
      'I can combine the two such statements to sum the size of all file with extensions .pdf or .wbk as follows:
      MsgBox Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(Application.WorksheetFunction.SumIf(ActiveSheet.Range("C:C"), ".pdf", ActiveSheet.Range("E:E")) + Application.WorksheetFunction.SumIf(ActiveSheet.Range("C:C"), ".wbk", ActiveSheet.Range("E:E")))
      'Is there a better way?  Is there a way to use an OR?  E.g., SumIf(C:C, ".pdf" OR ".wbk" OR ".docm", E:E)
      'I have tried using SumIfs as follows:
       MsgBox Application.WorksheetFunction.SumIfs(ActiveSheet.Range("E:E"), ActiveSheet.Range("C:C"), ".wbk", ActiveSheet.Range("C:C"), ".pdf")
      'but this returns 0 (as if it performs as an AND function).
    End Sub
    Thank you.
    Greg

Visit my website: http://gregmaxey.com

VBAX Sage
    I think SUMIFS does do an AND. Look at the attachment

This would be the way I'd do it unless I made a user defined function for flexibility

Option Explicit

Sub GM()
        Dim rExt As Range, rSize As Range
        Dim dTotal As Double

Set rExt = ActiveSheet.Columns(3)
        Set rSize = ActiveSheet.Columns(5)

With Application.WorksheetFunction
            dTotal = .SumIf(rExt, "docx", rSize) + .SumIf(rExt, "docm", rSize) + .SumIf(rExt, "xlsx", rSize)

MsgBox "docx+docm+xlsx = " & Format(dTotal, "#,##0")

End With

End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

You can do it the same way you would in a formula, with SUM, SUMIFS and an array:

MsgBox Application.Sum(Application.SumIfs(ActiveSheet.Range("E:E"), ActiveSheet.Range("C:C"), Array(".wbk", ".pdf")))
    Note that you have to use Application.Sumifs and not Worksheetfunction.Sumifs.
    Be as you wish to seem

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    These both work here (for those with versions of Excel before 2007):
      MsgBox Application.Sum(Application.SumIf(Range("C:C"), [{".wbk",".pdf"}], Range("E:E")))
      MsgBox Application.Sum(Application.SumIf(Range("C:C"), Array(".wbk", ".pdf"), Range("E:E")))
    This works in a cell:
    =SUM((C:C={".wbk",".pdf"})*E:E)
    but I can't translate it to vba - except by cheating:
      MsgBox [SUM((C:C={".wbk",".pdf"})*E:E)]
    Last edited by p45cal; 09-27-2024 at 04:05 AM.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.