Consulting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Parsing File Paths from Access Tables

Quote Originally Posted by Norie
    OBP

I don't know if the rest of the stuff can be done without VBA.

I think returning the filename without the extension would be easy using text functions but the other part regarding the prefix/suffix is a little (lot?) more difficult.

I've seen formulas in Excel that extract just numeric data from text, but I don't think those formulas would be able to be transferred to Access.
    The prefix and suffix situation is indeed a sticky wicket. The code OBP attached seems to be creating a mixed bag of results. First, if a file name is all alpha characters it is not returning it as the prefix. Also, some of the prefixes and suffixes are not populating as you would expect. The behaviour seems inconsistent as on some file names it seems to function properly where on other it doesn't work at all.

Oddly, it seemed to work better when I used me!files vs. me.files.

VBAX Guru
    alec, that is one of the quirks of VBA code, when to use Me. and when to use Me!
    If it works better then use it.
    Is there any chance of posting or emailing me the actual database to try and work out a better method.
    I don't think that I looked at the "all Alpha" side of the file name, but that can easily be accomodated in the VB code.
    Shall I do that?