Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: test if more than one year

VBAX Master
    test if more than one year

I was wondering if it is at all possible to test for multiple years in two different ways

1) If I have multiple dates in a column I would like to test if there are multiple years (ex: 2005 and 2006)
    2) If I use the dates in a pivottable I would like to test the pivottable column field of date for more than one year. Same as above

I'm not sure on the Pivot Table portion, but for the first one, I would think a formula could do it. Say you have your dates in cells A1:A100:

=if(year(max(A1:A100))<>year(min(A1:A100)),"Multiple years","Same year")

HTH,
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    If your data is in column A and they are all dates, you could use something like this...

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(A2:A10)=2006))=COUNT(A2:A10),"Yes","No")

Of course you would need to define the year (2006 in this example) and it assumes a range of only A2:A10.

Is the year defined here, or are you looking for any difference?

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(A2:A10)=2006))=COUNT(A2:A10),"Yes","No")

Of course you would need to define the year (2006 in this example) and it assumes a range of only A2:A10.

Is the year defined here, or are you looking for any difference?
    Use the year of the first cell in the range

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(A2:A10)=YEAR(A2)))=COUNT(A2:A10),"Yes","No")

VBAX Master

[vba]Range("B10").Formula = " =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(A2:A10)=YEAR(A2)))=COUNT(A2:A10),""Yes"",""No"")"[/vba]

You may want to go to FormulaR1C1 if you want to set the ranges via code. In that case it would look like (for the same thing):
    [vba]Range("B10").Formula = "=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(R[-8]C[-1]:RC[-1])=YEAR(R[-8]C[-1])))=COUNT(R[-8]C[-1]:RC[-1]),""Yes"",""No"")"
    [/vba]

HTH,

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    I had thought of that Bob, but alas did not use it as the OP was (I didn't think) very specific. Of course MSFT still did not put in an ISDATE() function, which totally baffles my mind.

I had thought of that Bob, but alas did not use it as the OP was (I didn't think) very specific. Of course MSFT still did not put in an ISDATE() function, which totally baffles my mind.
    Aah, I see what you mean. He could have meant multiple year dates, of soecifically 2005 and 2006, rather than multiple year dates.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

If it were the former, what should be done if there were 2004 and 2006? Don't answer, I am sure it doesn't matter.

I just assumed returning a cell value that said "multiple years" vs "single year" and figured the op would adjust as necessary.

So did I, but you know that Zack is a bit odd!

VBAX Master
    Sure

[vba]Range("B10").Formula = " =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(A2:A10)=YEAR(A2)))=COUNT(A2:A10),""Yes"",""No"")"[/vba]

You may want to go to FormulaR1C1 if you want to set the ranges via code. In that case it would look like (for the same thing):
    [vba]Range("B10").Formula = "=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(R[-8]C[-1]:RC[-1])=YEAR(R[-8]C[-1])))=COUNT(R[-8]C[-1]:RC[-1]),""Yes"",""No"")"
    [/vba]

HTH,
    I like this it seems it will do what I am looking for. However is it possible, to have adjust to the size of the column. Since the column will always be different lengths.

Sure can. Can you tell us what column your data is in, and what row it starts in?

Again, assuming column A with data starting in row 2:

[vba]With ActiveSheet
    .Range("B10").Formula = _
    "=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(A2:A" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row & _
    ")=YEAR(A2)))=COUNT(A2:A" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row & "),""Yes"",""No"")"
    End With[/vba]

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    So did I, but you know that Zack is a bit odd!
    Hmm, could you elaborate a little on that Bob? You lost me at Zack...

VBAX Master
    Would this work as a VBA statement? I am trying to use it to say if more than 1 year then group the date by year. The rest I already have, I just need to figure out this last piece of the puzzle.

[vba]IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(A2:A" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row & ")=YEAR(A2)))
    _ =COUNT(A2:A" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row &") > 1 then[/vba]

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    It should, as long as you have it in a With statement that contains the sheet, as that is how you have it referenced. The logic is sufficient though. I know a good way to find out... test it!